Aysola AE, Wahi MM, McKelvey RP, Gerdik CR. Research on patient safety for off-label use of recombinant factor VIIa
. American Journal of Health-system Pharmacy, 2015, 72(8):600-602.
- This letter sets forth a new perspective toward research approaches to studying recombinant factor VIIa (Novo 7).
- In 2012, an updated Cochrane Review established that using Novo 7 to stop bleeding in non-hemophiliacs represented a threat to patient safety. Off-label use of Novo 7 should not take place.
- Nevertheless, researchers keep studying off-label use of Novo 7.
- Novo 7 costs approximately $10,000 per dose, so it is very expensive as well as a patient safety risk when used off-label.
- Instead of studying indications for off-label uses of Novo 7, researchers should instead begin to study how to mitigate or eliminate off-label use of Novo 7 at healthcare institutions.
- Currently, there is almost no peer-reviewed, evidence-based scientific literature to guide healthcare leaders on how to mitigate or eliminate the dangerous and wasteful practice of off-label Novo 7 use. We propose to fill this gap in the literature through our research.
Leadership is key clinical skill for hospital pharmacist
- This article describes one pharmacist’s journey to mitigating off-label Novo 7 use at her institution.